Marriage License Worksheet:
Where do I apply for a marriage license?
* Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the City Clerk's Office with proper identification
* You must apply for the license in the town in which you are getting married.
* Blood tests are no longer required
Documents to bring with you:
* A valid government-issued photo ID, such as a passport or driver's license
* Both parties must be at least 18 years of age unless the parent or legal guardian gives written consent in the presence of the Clerk
* Individuals under the age of 16 require the written consent of the Judge of Probate
Length of time the license is valid
* The marriage license is valid for 65 days from the day it was issued and can only be used in the town where the marriage occurs, specified on the marriage license.
Cost of the License
* The cost of the marriage license is $30.00
* Acceptable forms of payment are Cash, Check, Visa* or Mastercard* (* a 3% or $.90 surcharge is added to credit card payments)
Who may join persons in marriage
* All judges and retired judges either elected or appointed
* Family support magistrates, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in
* All ordained or licensed members of the clergy belonging to this state or any other state as
long as they continue in the work of the ministry.
How to obtain a certified copy of a marriage Certificate
* Physically appear at the city clerks office with your Government-issued Photo ID, OR
* Request a certificate by mail with a $20.00 check or money order made out to the City of Torrington
* Enclose $20.00 payment along with the written request on thedownload form
* State your full name (maiden name), spouse's name, date of marriage
* Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and your payment of $20.00
What to do if you're in a hurry for a marriage certificate
- You can send your request via overnight delivery. Include your payment and enclose a return overnight envelope with it. Fax and Email requests are no longer accepted per State mandate.